Administration & Human Resources
The Department is responsible for all personnel matters, benefit coordination, risk management and liability insurance matters.
William D. Cargo
Freedom of Information Act Requests
Michigan’s Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) provides the public the right to request, to inspect, and/or receive copies of public records, and to subscribe to regular issuances of public records.
Grand Haven Charter Township is accepting applications for the following positions:
Administrative Assistant – Assessing / Asst. Zoning Administrator
Department: Assessing and Community Development
We ARE Grand Haven Charter Township
We are a beautiful, thriving community of over 16,000 residents, located in Northwest Ottawa County where our residents and visitors can find miles of pristine beaches, towering sand dunes and breathtaking sunsets along the shores of Lake Michigan. Our clean and safe community values a family-centered atmosphere; we also offer vibrant parks, world-class schools, as well as an appreciation of the arts and healthy lifestyles. Our community is a place where agri-businesses and industry seek to locate, bringing with them more opportunities for growth.
We are an organization that values trust and mutual respect. Our staff members are empowered to make decisions and create positive change. We are committed to continuous improvement through the use of technology and collaboration with our customers, peers, and neighbors. We know our past, and we learn from it so that we can grow together as a community.
We are looking for someone who shares our same values and enjoys being part of a team. The job duties vary greatly from the quiet times of data entry and filing to exciting field work and communicating with the public. Someone with prior assessing or zoning experience would knock it out of the park!
A Day in the Life
- Communicates with and represents the Township to residents, guests, builders, and other municipalities.
- Prepares reports, letters, spreadsheets and other documents.
- Scans and documents PTAs and PREs; updates parcel information.
- Coordinates with building and code enforcement staff engaged in review of zoning permit applications, inspections and enforcement activities.
- Reviews building plans and zoning permit applications for accuracy and compliance.
- Serves as the main contact for permit/enforcement questions; schedules inspections; and files for the Assessing and Community Development Department.
- Visits property sites with the Assistant Assessor for support with field inspections and verification of data.
- Receives feedback from team members and uses it to grow and improve.
What You Will Need
- High School Diploma AND 3 years of relevant customer service experience.
- Valid Michigan motor vehicle operator’s license.
- Intermediate skill level in Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Publisher AND a typing speed of 50 WPM.
- A love for working both inside and outside, which includes being exposed to cold, heat and noise and possibly walking/climbing rough terrain to inspect construction.
- The ability to communicate with the public and other employees with tact and discretion.
- Familiarity with government, assessing, and zoning is definitely a plus.
- The desire to learn and potentially grow into other roles with the Township.
What We Offer:
- A competitive salary range of $37,215 – $50,482.
- Health and dental coverage for you and your family, including a Health Savings Account (HSA) contribution.
- A 401(a) plan, through the Municipal Employees’ Retirement System (MERS), with a 10% Township contribution.
- A generous paid time off program to help you keep a healthy work/life balance.
- Financial protection through disability, life, accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
- Supplemental insurance options at group rates.
- Educational reimbursement benefits and access to a fitness facility to keep your mind and body healthy.
When you become a Grand Haven Charter Township employee, you do more than simply change jobs. You become part of the GHCT family, a group of talented individuals who provide superior customer service to their residents and visitors, love their jobs, embrace change and celebrate the community that is GRAND HAVEN CHARTER TOWNSHIP!
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter, resume and completed employment application to ADumbrell@ght.org
Any questions can be directed to Andrea Dumbrell, Human Resources Supervisor, at 616.604.6309.
Application deadline: October 13, 2017, or until filled.
Grand Haven Charter Township is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting and retaining the most qualified employees regardless of race, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, age or disability.