Administration & Human Resources
The Department is responsible for all personnel matters, benefit coordination, risk management and liability insurance matters.
William D. Cargo
Freedom of Information Act Requests
Michigan’s Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) provides the public the right to request, to inspect, and/or receive copies of public records, and to subscribe to regular issuances of public records.
Grand Haven Charter Township is accepting applications for the following positions:
Zoning Board Of Appeals Committee Member
The primary duties of the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) is to decide whether or not to grant variances from the strict letter of the ordinance if practical difficulty or unnecessary hardship would result in conforming with the ordinance, provided the spirit of the ordinance is observed, public safety secured and substantial justice done. It also is to hear and decide appeals from any order, requirement decision or determination made by any administrative official charged with zoning ordinance enforcement.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ZONING BOARD OF APPEALS:
The Zoning Board of Appeals is a quasi-judicial board that considers appeals to the Township’s zoning regulations. These types of appeals are fairly rare since the ZBA must affirmatively find that the proposed variance meets all of the following four standards:
1. Are there exceptional or extraordinary circumstances or conditions applying to the property that do not apply generally to other properties in the same zoning classification. Exceptional or extraordinary circumstances or conditions include:
• exceptional narrowness, shallowness or shape of a specific property on the effective date of this Ordinance, or amendment thereto;
• exceptional topographic conditions;
• any other physical situation on the land, building or structure deemed by the Zoning Board of Appeals to be extraordinary; or
• by reason of the use or development of the property immediately adjoining the property in question.
2. Is the variance necessary for the preservation and enjoyment of a substantial property right similar to that possessed by other properties in the same zoning district and in the vicinity, provided that possible increased financial return shall not of itself, be deemed sufficient to warrant a variance.
3. Will the authorization of such variance be of substantial detriment to adjacent property, or materially impair the intent and purpose of this Ordinance or the public health, safety, and general welfare of the community.
4. Are the conditions or situations of the specific piece of property or the intended use of said property for which the variance is sought so general or recurrent a nature as to make reasonably practical the formulation of a general regulation for such condition or situation.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES OF ZONING BOARD OF APPEALS MEMBERS:
• Recognize and avoid, or make public, any conflict of interest your committee position may create
• Learn the laws that cover public open meetings and hearings and attend trainings on township specific zoning regulations
• Maintain an appropriate and legal level of confidentiality
• Attend ZBA meetings to review and discuss upcoming agenda items, development issues, and review and make decisions on applications and regulations
• Attend occasional special work sessions with the Grand Haven Charter Township Board, various interest groups, and other planning related presentations and field trips
• Commit both time and personal energy to the Zoning Board of Appeals
• Encourage and accept input from citizens, organizations and those directly affected by land use related actions made by the Zoning Board of Appeals
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Grand Haven Charter Township Resident
The ZBA meets on the fourth Tuesday evening of each month at 7:00 p.m. The ZBA typically meets about six times a year, or less. The members are paid a stipend.
Application deadline: July 21, 2017
All applications must include a letter of interest and completed employment application. Applications can be emailed to ADumbrell@ght.org or addressed to:
Andrea Dumbrell, Human Resources Supervisor
Grand Haven Charter Township
13300 168th Avenue
Grand Haven, MI 49417
Any inquiries can be made to ADumbrell@ght.org or 616.604.6309.
Grand Haven Charter Township is an EEO employer.